Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Things I learned today from my Digg feed

When the Google Reader (GR) was discontinued earlier this year, its devoted users were left to find an alternative. While there were several news readers out there, none really did it the way GR did, and the alternatives were just not that acceptable.

Along came Digg, the news aggregating website. They heard the cries and made it their mission to replace GR with a reader that would please the hard core GR orphans. I have to say it's mainly as good as GR (Old Reader is actually the most GR-like of them all but I couldn't get it to work on my iPhone). I find the iPhone version of GR to have a couple of annoying deficiencies but overall it works.

As such I ended up with the Digg feed in my reader. Which is fine. I find at least one article a day there that makes me glad I have the feed. Here are some things I learned today:

Science discovered a new ligament in the knee: this is a bit disconcerting. I mean they've been studying the body for how long now? And they missed something?

1.3 million people in Norway watched knitting on TV:  It's on something called SlowTV, and they plan on airing a Day in the Life of a Snail. I'm not making this up.

Corgis are becoming extinct: Better not tell that to Aurora's new mayor.

America has more prisoners than teachers:  This is misleading (as is the wont of so many internet headlines). There are more prisoners than high school teachers. They don't list all teachers. I wish they would just give us all the info instead of the info that supports their narrative.

Who knows what I'll learn tomorrow. 

And, hey! There was at least one pet related item.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.