Sunday, November 29, 2015

Day 29: Down to the Wire

It's 11:42 pm and I don't have a topic. I've actually written two posts that I decided not to put up for various reasons (they sucked and they sucked). So here's a list of  some of the songs I'd like to play with a band one day. It's a good thing there's only one day left.

Mack the Knife. Not particularly hard or fancy but I like the build of energy the way Bobby Darin did it. And I love a good groove.

L.A Woman. Similar thing. Irresistible, almost cathartic, groove that busts forward, and just when you think it can never be stopped it drops into half time and lets you add some tasty fills before kicking back into gear and driving to the end. Cops in cars, topless bars, I never saw a woman, so alone.

Hell is for Children. I would play the hell out of this song. Normally I'm understated, but in this song I'd go full Keith Moon on it and I wouldn't let it end until we'd turned it into a 12 minute rock blow out. Just because.

Sing Sing Sing. I want to replicate the 1938 Carnegie Hall performance. It's sublime. I've played Sing Sing Sing before in various band arrangements but I want to play it like Gene and Benny, just once. If you choose to listen to this, pay attention to the piano solo toward the end, right after Benny's solo. The pianist says he didn't know Benny was going to throw it to him, and if he'd known in advance he would have been afraid he'd screw it up. It's gorgeous.

Stairway to Heaven. Because it's Stairway to Heaven. (I've linked the Kennedy Center version by Heart, because I love watching Page and Plant get all misty eyed. Also, the top hats.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.