Thursday, November 19, 2015

Day 18: Midweek Music Break

Lunasa is my favorite Irish group and one of my all time favorite bands. I've seen them live twice, once at my favorite venue, Nighttown in Cleveland Heights, and once at P.J.McIntyres. They play mainly traditional Irish music with (mostly) traditional instrumentation, but with updated arrangements and exceptional artistry.

This is a tune set called The Dimmers. Irish tunes are traditionally played in sets of two or three. Often, jigs are played with jigs, and reels with reels, but there is no rule, and some of the best sets are mixtures. This particular set is made of two tunes, Jerry O'Sullivan's and The Dimmers.

I picked this because it's accessible to the non-fan. Jerry O'Sullivan's is a beautiful flute piece, while The Dimmers is led by fiddle and Uilleann pipes. The other members play rhythm guitar and stand-up bass.

Without further ado, I give you, Lunasa


Bonus:

Here's a second set called Morning Nightcap, which is one of their most popular sets. It also shows them live with a bootleg-quality recording. My favorite part is the whistle-featured middle tune, which is the title tune, Morning Nightcap. The first tune is MacLeod's farewell and the final tune is The Malbay Shuffle. They are all reels. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.