Thursday, November 12, 2015

Day 12: Where I Link to an Old Post About Holiday Music

In Blogapalooza 2011 I talked about how people who play in bands and orchestras began rehearsing holiday music in October. I mention it today because, for one, I need a quick topic for today's post and two, I'm in two bands this year who are each rehearsing holiday music. And three of the pieces overlap each group.

In one group I'm the only drummer/percussionist. In the other, there are five of us. There are times in the first group where I have to play three things at once, and I feel like one of those one-man-band guys who has a washboard hooked to his drum, a car horn in his armpit, and a pair of cymbals between his knees,

In the second group I have to share, and there are times I'm thinking, "I could play that better," But that's not the point. The point is for everyone to participate. They show up, they donate their time and talents, they play. However it sounds is how it sounds. Because it's not about us, it's about who we play for. To the people who live in the retirement homes and nursing homes we play for, it could be the best thing that happened all week. And that's why we're there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.