Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Day 4: Where I Remind You About an Often Overlooked Pop Album.

Every time I hear one of the few Journey songs that weren't sung by Steve Perry I shake my head and say aloud, "What were they thinking?" I mean, that voice! But the same doesn't apply to Hall and Oates, even though Daryl Hall had a significantly better voice. In later years Oates was pretty much relegated to backup status, but for a while he was given a lot to sing, and his voice is perfect for the blue eyed soul style of the early years. And that's one of the things that makes 'Abandoned Luncheonette' such a good album. It's truly a collaboration. And while Hall sounds great and the harmonies are beautiful, some of the real gems are with John Oates on lead. 'I'm Just a Kid" is a terrific song. But this is one you'll probably remember.




But there's solid songwriting and singing throughout the album. It's an under appreciated piece of work, I think.

You can listen to the entire album here




Or check it out on Spotify. It's a great pop album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.