Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Day 10: It's Time to Kick Bill Cosby Out of the Buckeye Family

I remember buying Bill Cosby's records when I was in junior high school and playing them over and over, never failing to laugh. 'I Started Out as a Child.' 'Why is There Air?' 'It's True, It's True.' I could recite them line for line.

There was a bit called 'Spanish Fly' that turned out to be a portent of this past year for Cosby. It's about the quest for a mythical aphrodisiac, and as a burgeoning hormonal teen the idea was, shall I say, intriguing. But when the allegations first hit, my mind went immediately back to that bit, and the creepiness factor that didn't exist in 1969, because of my immaturity and the social mores of the time, hit me right in the conscious.

Ever since, I've felt guilty having enjoyed that bit, even though there is no way I could have been expected to understand  the sinister, oppressive, criminal undertones that the allegations cast on it. Still, I never pass on a chance to beat myself up. 

All of this brings me to the news in the Ohio State University newspaper, The Lantern, that the university is considering whether to strip Cosby of his honorary degree. OSU is not the only school considering similar action. 

I know they have to make it not look like they're acting rashly, but this one is a no brainier. The evidence it too overwhelming. The guy is a first rate sleaze and a criminal. Do it. Do it now. Do it without apology. 

It's not like he earned a regular degree. Graduates are forever Buckeyes, no matter what path their lives take. But Cosby's degree was a rescindable bestowment. You have to deserve it and you have to keep deserving it. 

I don't mind them pausing to make extra sure taking it away is the right thing to do. As long as they decide taking it away is the right thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.