Monday, November 4, 2013

Eenie, meenie, miney, mo

Tomorrow we vote for a mayor here in Aurora. There are six candidates, which seems like the most I can remember. The past few elections have seen Mayor Lynn McGill pretty much steamroll the competition, but since he stepped down a few months ago, the field is wide open. Everyone, it seems, wants to be mayor of Aurora.

I have been asked by more than one candidate, (but not, oddly, (or maybe fittingly), the person I intend to vote for), to put a sign in my yard. My answer, as it has been for the past 20 years, is no. We do not allow political signs, for people, for issues, for anything. We would probably not allow a sign that said, "Don't text and drive," not because we are worried that one of our clients is a huge fan of causing accidents, but simply because it eliminates having to draw a line somewhere above zero. Not that I don't like a good debate, but it's easier to not bruise feelings when the policy is unbending.

I do allow signs for contractors who have just finished a job, like Vitale Asphalt, or Auburn Fence, or our handyman, John Jarmusik, if he had them. That's just good business. (Note to self: what if I sent home yard signs with people that said, "I just boarded my dog at the Aurora Kennel?")

So anyway, there are six candidates and I know three of them. One was on a committee with me (and taught government to my kids), one coached my daughter in softball or soccer when she was younger, and one brings their pets here. The other three seem like decent folks with good ideas and it's hard to know which fiscally responsible, community responsive, 'I love Aurora,' candidate to choose. Well, except for me. I've already decided.

But I'm not telling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.