Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Dreaming

I don't remember my dreams very often but last night I had one of those dreams that starts and then you wake up and try to go back to sleep and it continues, like it's been recorded on a DVR and you can't shut it off, and you doze off and wake up a couple of more times and it still keeps playing.

It started with me in Solon, at a house with someone I don't really know. We were on the deck when a bank of gray clouds rolled in and the wind whipped up, and among the clouds were these little patches of clouds that darted around really fast. Then everything sort of exploded in a giant wind storm and we dove for cover, and when it was over there were eight of us in a barren landscape as far as we could see.

In that way that dreams work, it was clear to us that an alien culture had destroyed modern life on Earth in order for us to return to our roots and start over. But then the logistics started to get in the way. How were we supposed to repopulate the Earth with only eight people? I couldn't remember the math but I thought you needed more to make it viable. Also how were we supposed to go from cozy homes and a Wal Mart on every block to absolutely nothing? No fire, no tools, no materials? How do we even make clothes? And water. Early man started with fresh water; he could drink from any water source, anywhere. Never mind the bacteria, which we could adjust to after a period of uncomfortable bowel issues, but the pollution would make it seriously unpotable.

Then we decided that the aliens would know better than to leave the fate of the Earth in the hands of eight people and that if we started walking we would find another group, and then maybe another. That's when I woke up. But I've been thinking about it all day. I'd like to think we could figure out a way to survive in that scenario, but there would have to be certain minimums. We would need good water.

So if any of the aliens are reading this:
Dear aliens who are coming to save the Earth at the expense of most Earthlings,

Please leave us water, some basic tools, and many, many seeds. And comfortable shoes. I need comfortable shoes.

Thank you.

Kind of a weird post, I know. Sorry. There is no lesson, really. Dream interpreters could tell me what it all means but I'll just chalk it up to imagination.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.