Saturday, November 9, 2013

It's not easy being a pariah

I love Saturdays in the fall. Ohio State football. Go Bucks! But today is what they call a 'bye' week, which, to borrow from The Princess Bride, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

bye1
bī/
noun
noun: bye; plural noun: byes; noun: by
1.
the transfer of a competitor directly to the next round of a competition in the absence of an assigned opponent.
2. Golf -- one or more holes remaining unplayed after the match has been decided.


Nowhere does it mean a week off. A week off is called an open week. I am, it turns out, among an overwhelming minority who understands this and tries to stand his ground. But I know it's no use. We have already lost when The Worldwide Leader can't even get it right and has no motivation to do so. It's like this is a piece of terminology that sounds all official and when you say it it makes you sound like an insider. People will never stop saying it because it's cool and easy.

Still, I sometimes correct people, much to their annoyance. I am the snotty, elitist grammar police that everybody wants to beat up.

Unwitting victim: "The Buckeyes have a bye this week.
Me: "Really, they're in a tournament?"
UV: "What?"
Me: "Are they playing in a tournament?"
UV: "No, they're not playing at all.:
Me: "Oh, you mean they have an open week."
UV: "That's what I said."
Me: 'You said 'bye' when you really meant 'open. You see, 'bye' means the transfer of a competitor directly to--"
UV: "Whatever, dude, get a life."

See?

(The first three links are awesome BTW.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.