Sunday, November 8, 2015

Day 9: Adios, Marcelita's



When we first moved to Northeast Ohio one of the first places we were told to eat was a Mexican restaurant called Marcelita's in Hudson. The food was good, the prices were very reasonable and for many, many years we enjoyed going there. It was super popular and on a Friday or Saturday you had to wait to get a table. We most often went there for lunch when the seating was a little sparser.

Over the course of the years, my wife got to know the owner by taking care of her dog, and whenever we visited, Jeannie would stop by the table to chat. I'm not going to lie, our service was never better than after a chat with the owner.

A few years ago they decided to sell. The new people kept it up for a while and we were never disappointed, but we hadn't been there in many months because there is a terrific Mexican place very close to home. I recently heard the quality had gone down. A couple of weeks ago I heard it closed. Today I drove by and the sign out front said, "Thank you and farewell."

I never like to see a business fail. I know how hard it is to make a go of it and I'm sure these people put a lot of energy and money into trying to make it work. I don't know the whys and wherefores of it all but it still makes me sad. I also think about how sad Jeannie must be to see the labor of love she nurtured for years and years go away.

Every time I have a chimichanga I will remember Marcelita's.

1 comment:

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.