Monday, November 16, 2015

Day 16: An unexpectedly long lasting gift from my dad.

When I got my driver's license my dad had a set of car keys made for me, and at the same time picked up a little key chain to put them on.


As you can see, it's a nothing little key chain, completely utilitarian, with nary a decorative feature. But that sturdy little son of a gun just keeps doing its job. I would never have guessed in a million years when he gave it to me that I'd still have it 42 years later. 

I bet if he was here he'd have forgotten all about the keychain. To him it was just a practical thing. He had keys made and they needed a keychain. It had no significance beyond that. It probably didn't even cost a dollar.

He could have never guessed that all these years later, that keychain is just about my favorite thing he ever gave me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.