Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 5: Where I review 'Urgent' by Foreigner

Yesterday as I was running errands, I started the car and the radio turned on. The first thing I heard was the opening notes to Foreigner's 'Urgent.' 'Urgent' is probably my least favorite hit from a band I do not really like all that much, but don't hate. My favorite Foreigner song is 'Jukebox Hero.'

So after the 20 seconds it took for me to realize I didn't want to hear 'Urgent' I flipped to another station, where they were playing the exact same song, starting in the exact same spot, right at the beginning.  

Now I could have angrily switched to another station but I was almost afraid to. What if the next station played 'Urgent' from the exact same spot, then another station and another? I wasn't prepared for the possibility of a sudden appearance by Rod Sterling in my passenger seat. Instead I listened to the entire song to determine whether the universe was trying to tell me something. It was not.

So I'm going to make good use of the time spent listening to 'Urgent.' My quickie (urgent?) review:

Lyrics: It's a sex song. Nothing wrong with sex songs but it's not even sexy. It's trite in places, a little disjointed in it's narrative, and it feels like the lyrics are merely a means to get to the hook. The lyrics are a marshmallow of a meal. 

Drums: Competent but not interesting. Forgettable. In fact, I usually focus on the drums when I listen to music and with this song I can't even begin to tell you anything more about the drumming.

Sax: Nice sax solo. So nice that I had to look who did it. Motown great, Junior Walker. I think that every time I listen to that song I will do it only for the sax solo.  

Vocals: Lou Gramm can sing. Really, the whole song is a means to get Lou Gramm to sing the hook over and over and over. "Urgent, urgent, urgent, urgent ... emer--gency." That's the song. 

And it made them a lot of money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.