Tuesday, June 25, 2013

That fine line between something and nothing.

On Sunday I spent much of my day in the emergency room. Turned out to be nothing major, but I learned a new word. Vitreous. That's the stuff in the eyeball that makes it all squishy. Sometimes the components separate (when you get, ahem, older) and this causes 'floaters', which are shadowy streaks in the periphery of your vision.

I had one occurrence on Saturday of seeing the floaters, and thought nothing of it. The body does lots of odd things, just one time, and I've learned to chalk them up to, ahem, aging. But then Sunday morning I woke up and there were floaters constantly bugging the corner of my vision. Coupled with a weird sore throat, (and my daughter will appreciate this) I imagined the worst.

Two doctors and an ophthalmologist later (so, three doctors)  I was told that us old dudes sometimes get these things and to come back if they get worse.

So now I have these things in my peripheral vision that makes me think something is there. At night they look like lightning, which fooled me this evening when we had actual lightning. And I got to thinking that someone who's paranoid could be driven nuts.

"Who's there?"
"No, there. I saw that."
"Stop following me!"

If Edward Snowden has floaters, it won't mean they aren't out to get him. 

And no one gave a crap about the sore throat, which has kind of gotten worse.



2 comments:

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.