Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tomorrow is National Vicheyssoise Day

Today my wife tells me of a Facebook post by our nephew who is in college. He noted that today is Homemade Bread Day. Actually this is what he said: "Today is National Homemade Bread Day.....too bad I'm hungry now and can't wait 3 hours for a sandwich."

Pretty funny.

Then I wondered when was the last time he's ever made bread? My guess it's never, which means it would be a lot more than 3 hours before he had anything to spread his peanut butter on, especially considering that where he lives (his grandmother's house) has none of the following: bread flour, yeast, loaf pan, a suitable place to knead.

Coincidentally, four hours before I even knew it was Homemade Bread Day, I tossed some flour, yeast, eggs, butter, and water into the stand mixer and started a batch of challah. I've been on a challah kick lately, trying to find a good recipe. So right about the time I was being told about Homemade Bread Day, we were cracking open a beautiful yellow loaf, crusty on the outside and soft on the inside.

So, back to the title. Tomorrow really is National Vicheyssoise Day. (which I'll be skipping). And yesterday was National Baklava Day (sorry I missed that). And the day after tomorrow is Carbonated Beverage with Caffeine Day. I swear. Look it up. It turns out every day of the year has a food dedicated to it. Some have a week or a whole month. But who decided papaya gets a whole month (September) while chocolate milk shakes get only a day (September 12)? Oh, the healthy foods get preference you say? How about Brownies at Brunch getting a month (August) while zucchini gets August 8? How many days a week do people even eat brunch?

And what were people thinking who designated Aug 3 as Grab Some Nuts Day?

There are literally 200 good jokes waiting to happen on that list of national food days. And I will be waiting, typing fingers poised,  for National Roast Suckling Pig Day (Dec.18) if only for the awesome blog entry it may yield.  



2 comments:

  1. LOL. Very good. I'm wondering if we mix your national food days with ours what sort of a recipe we'll come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny. Just wondering if the Orthodox Jews keep the milk days and the meat days separated by a day on the calendar for obvious Kosher reasons.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.