Monday, September 17, 2012

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

This is how I know it's really Fall: when the 8:00 pm kennel hours roll around and I walk to work in the orange-yellow glow of the barn lights.  


 I didn't even notice the days when it was almost dark; it sort of snuck up on me, like it didn't want to give me time to prepare, then one day I'd go out and the transition would be complete.

We used to have two sets of three 150 watt floods, which drew a lot of juice and tended to burn out frequently and one at a time. I tried long lasting bulbs and I tried replaceing them all at once and I still lost the battle. So I decided to get those tungsten halogen fixtures figuring I'd have to change bulbs every five years or so. Nice thought except that the starters or whatever keep going out and I've had to have to have someone out here twice a year fussing with them. Every penny we've saved in electricity has been spent thrice fold on service calls. And by way of jinxing myself I'll say here that I believe they finally solved it for good. Until they fail again.

One theory is that the barn is haunted and they keep messing with the lights. If that's the case I give up. But I do avoid the barn at night. It's creepy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not going to moderate the comments unless someone starts making trouble...aka..Don't make me come down here.